Tuesday, January 5, 2010

the picture challenge

Garrett and I each picked a picture for each other to write about. So here's what he gave me.


When I first saw this picture I thought "beached whale". But actually...as I look at it now, it's a lot more then that. Sure it's a whale (killer whale if we're gonna get specific), but it's not beached.

Maybe a lot of us live like this whale...in a tank. Your natural habitat is actually a lot bigger and a lot more free, but circumstances have placed you in a tank. It would be really easy to shrink back to the mediocre and always think of what could be if you were out in the wild. Instead, live like the whale: enjoy the tank, hop up on the edge and look around, let people see what you can still do with your life, cause others to smile, live bigger than your environment.

As I go back to college in a few days, it's always really easy for me to try and blend in. In some ways Bryan College is a tank on my life, limiting what I think I can do. Instead of being okay with those thoughts and putting life on hold for the next 1.5 years, I need to thrive in my environment. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. Like the whale, I need to:

Enjoy the tank, hop up on the edge and look around, let people see what I can still do with my life, cause others to smile, and live bigger than my environment.

So maybe it's appropriate that the original title of the photograph is "When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out"

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

1 comment:

  1. "When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out" is a fantastic Copeland song, which is how I stumbled across this picture.

    And this was fantastic... and kinda a very much more optimistic view than my blog, haha.

    ReplyDelete