Saturday, December 27, 2008

Over the river and through the woods

Every year, a few days after Christmas, my family has a traditional day of adventure together.  Some years it's been excursions to Charleston, sometimes to other cities, and in the more recent years, state parks in the upstate.  This year our travels brought us to a state park up somewhere near Greenville.  

I'll be honest...these days of hiking and wilderness adventure don't ever start off on a good note for me.  I'd much rather be somewhere else...and it's hard being the only girl sibling.  But, the day always seems to end on a good note, and today was no different.  A good family friend Kyle came with us, which added to the epic-ness of the day.


About to enter the narrow gap of Devil's Kitchen

All of us on the covered bridge at the top of High Falls (arranged in age order)


Kyle and I braving the fridgid wind and beastly cold, all atop a precipice with no visible bottom.

Climbing up the side of Triple Falls


So yes...it was epic...and treacherous...and majestic...and all those good adjectives.

The fact that the night ended with a stop at a Chinese buffet didn't hurt things.  :)  So family time was good after all...and I came away with some fun memories amid the tiredness that I'm now feeling from all the hiking.

tata!
-erika

No comments:

Post a Comment